This is Life

Houses and Roundabouts

You may have noticed that I have been somewhat absent from Melba Says over the last 3 months and let me tell you that a large chunk of those last 3 months have been more than a little trying.  Thankfully, life seems to have settled again for us now but here is a quick recap on all that has happened recently.


In about mid-April I came down with a really good dose of the ‘flu’.  I had all the classic symptoms – a temperature, runny nose, aches and pains and I slept – a lot!  It took me about two weeks to get over it but was left with a horrible chesty cough which I couldn’t shake.  Even as I celebrated my 50th birthday at the start of May I still wasn’t feeling well.  I went back to the Doctors twice and was given 2 different lots of anti-biotics, neither of which seemed to work. I finally took myself off to see a different doctor and after telling her that I had once been a heavy smoker (I haven’t smoked for almost 20 years) she sent me off for chest x-rays and blood tests.

Tissues have been my constant companion for the last few weeks.
Tissues have been my constant companion for the last few weeks. {IMAGE CREDIT}

Thankfully they all came back clear and a spirometry test (lung function) also cleared me of any lung damage.  So after another dose of antibiotics and a short course of steroids I thought I was finally on the mend. But my body seemed to have other ideas and I came down with another cold/flu thing.  So back to the Doctors I went to be told that I was basically ‘unlucky’ and there was nothing she could do.  So instead I took myself off to my chiropractor who gave me some immune boosting vitamins and that along with being super good with what I eat I think I am finally on the mend.  I even managed to go for a walk this afternoon without running out of puff.


At the start of May we found out that the tenants in one of our houses were moving on and we decided to put that house on the market. We used the same agent that we had used to look after the property when it was rented out and it didn’t take long to sell.  But then the fun begin with a teen party almost being held there and the mortgage broker that we had used previously seemingly not doing his job properly which then delayed settlement by more than 3 weeks.  Fortunately we were able to allow the purchasers to move in early but it was still very stressful with almost daily phone calls from our solicitor, chasing our bank and our mortgage broker.


As I have mentioned in previous posts we owned two houses and we had been going to sell the second one as well but as it was an older house our agent advised us that we wouldn’t get a good price unless it had some  work done to it. As we couldn’t afford to do what needed to be done to it all at once we made the decision to move into it for the next 2 or 3 years (until the kids finish school)  and do as much of the work as we can ourselves.  Unfortunately, it was rather grubby so it took me almost a three weeks to get it clean to my standards as I could only do little bits at a time. We also painted the kids rooms for them so they were nice and fresh.  They were very lucky in our old house in that they had big rooms and a bathroom each.  Now they have to share a bathroom and their bedrooms as just normal size but they have accepted the downsizing without complaint.  It took us just on a month to completely move in and we are almost all sorted out now.


In the midst of all that, I had my first ever car accident.  A lady ran into the front of me on a roundabout.

This huge roundabout was the location of my first ever car accident.
This huge roundabout was the location of my first ever car accident.

There are several really big roundabouts here on the Coast and this one is a particularly busy one and she assumed that because I was in the left lane I was turning left but I was going straight through, which I might add I am allowed to do on that particular roundabout.  Fortunately no one was injured although it frightened Master B a lot.  I’m just grateful that Miss M wasn’t driving as I’m sure it would have shaken her learners confidence.  So we then had to wait for over two weeks to get our car back but I can report that it is back and as good as new.  I should also add that RACQ Insurance were fantastic to deal with.  I should probably also mention that I received a speeding ticket recently but I won’t as I wouldn’t want you to think that I’m a bad driver!

Love Me


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.